Mission and Vision
Our vision is to save lives of individuals diagnosed with blood diseases by increasing the number of patients making it to transplant.
The Sunflower Fund is a donor recruitment centre and registry. We fight blood diseases like leukaemia through the recruitment of stem cell donors and maintaining a registry of potential donors committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving stem cell transplant.
We fundraise to cover the cost of education and awareness about the need for and the process to become a blood stem cell donor as well as to cover the cost of the HLA tissue-typing test involved in the recruitment of donors. The Sunflower Fund also maintains a patient support fund to assist patients who are unable to afford costs associated with getting to transplant as well as being actively involved in creating a platform for support structures to assist patients, families and communities.
OUR KEY FOCUS AREAS:
Stem cell registry for Africa
- Through active global partnerships and alliances, we are building a registry of donors across Africa who are committed to helping anyone in need of a life-saving blood stem cell transplant.
Patient Support Fund
- We offer financial support for the cost associated with finding a donor and getting to transplant.
- Accessibility to treatment through actively engaging technology and research.
- In order to improve outcomes for patients in the African Diaspora who need a stem cell transplant, we jointly aim to recruit 100,000 donors of African ancestry by 2030 as part of the Stem Cell Registry Alliance (SCRA).
- We actively drive education and awareness about blood diseases as well as the need for and the process involved in becoming a blood stem cell donors and raise funds to cover the cost of tissue-typing tests as well as for patient support.